How long does it take to clean air ducts?
If you live in the Minneapolis - St Paul - MN area, you may be a little confused as to how long it should take to clean your furnace and air ducts. Let me try to explain why. You basically have three different kinds of furnace and air duct cleaning companies operating here in the twin cities.
First type of air duct cleaning company.
This type of company is usually seen on the internet touting a outrageously low price like $99 air duct cleaning! This type of company is usually a start up company that is desperate for work and is willing to actually go out to your home for only $99, but let me explain why.
When a company like this comes to your home you can expect one or all of the following.
- They will charge extra for rooms, registers, square footage, or certain components of the furnace.
- They will probably just send out one person who will be in and out as quickly as possible.
The bottom line is this. You can not run a profitable air duct cleaning company and do a professional job and only charge $99. It is simply not possible.
Second type of air duct cleaning company.
This type of company claims to have superior cleaning equipment typically called "Roto Brush" method. They claim it takes about 4-6 hours to do a professional air duct cleaning job for an average size home. They also charge between $400-800 depending on the size of the home.
Here are some things to consider if you are considering hiring this type of air duct cleaning company:
- Is this method of cleaning actually superior? Actually it is NOT! You see, they use a round brush, and guess what? Your cold air returns and main trunk lines are RECTANGULAR. Have you ever tried to put a round peg in a square hole? Doesn't work all that well does it? Yes, the brush works well for your warm air ducts, but those aren't the ones that are really dirty, it's your cold air registers and main trunk lines that are dirtier because the air flow hasn't passed through the filter yet.
- Dust and debris begins to accumulate immediately after having your air duct system cleaned. Which is why after 2 years you should have them cleaned again. Most people agree that spending $400-800 every 2 years is overkill, even if it were a superior cleaning method.
This type of company charges a reasonable flat rate price for all the hot and cold air registers, main trunk lines and all the components of the furnace. It's not a rush job, and it's not overkill. The price is typically around $200 which is between what the $99 and $400-$800 charge. Yes, people with smaller homes are paying a little more than the people with larger homes, relatively speaking, but we like to keep things simple.
Here are some things to consider if you are considering this type of air duct cleaning company:
- They will typically use an "air wand or gun" to clean the hot and cold air registers and all the components of the furnace. Then they will use an "air snake or air whip" to clean the main trunk lines.
- It usually takes about an hour and a half for a two person crew to do a professional job.
I hope this article was informative. If you live in the Minneapolis - St Paul - Twin Cities - MN area feel free to contact Twin Cities Furnace Cleaning for a professional furnace and air duct cleaning experience at a reasonable price with no tricks, gimmics or hidden costs!